By Azman Zakaria
Photo by Marina Ismail
SERDANG, Oct 13 - A total of 7,200 graduates comprising 500 Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D), 1,788 (Master’s degree), 4,451 (Bachelor’s degree) and 461 (Diploma) will be receiving their scrolls during Universiti Putra Malaysia’s 40th Convocation to be held from October 22 to 25.
UPM Royal Chancellor, Tuanku Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah, will be conferring the Ph.D, Master’s and Bachelor’s degrees and diplomas to the graduates in the first session on the first day of the ceremony (October 22) at UPM’s Main Hall of Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah (PKKSSAAS) Arts and Culture Centre.
UPM Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Datin Paduka Dr. Aini Ideris said the degrees will also be presented in eight sessions for four days by three UPM Pro-Chancellors - Tan Sri Dato’ Setia Dr. Nayan Ariffin in the second session (October 22), fourth and seventh sessions (October 23 and October 25); Tan Sri Lim Ah Lek in the third and sixth sessions (October 23 and October 24); and Tan Sri Mohd Bakke Salleh in the fifth and eighth sessions (October 24 and October 25).
She said UPM will be awarding the Emeritus Professor title to Tan Sri Dato’ Setia Dr. Nayan; Dato’ Dr. Kamel Ariffin Mohd Atan; Dato’ Abang Abdullah Abang Ali and Prof. Dato’ Dr. Wan Md Zin Wan Yunus in the first session.
In a Press conference here, Prof. Datin Paduka Dr Aini also said the Royal Chancellor had consented to bestowing the outstanding university awards to excellent recipients.
1. Muhammad Khairul Adib Muhammad Yusof, Bachelor of Science (Honours) majors in Physics student from Science Faculty, who is the recipient of Chancellor’s Gold Award Medal.
2. Emylia Atika Mohd Rostam, Bachelor of Science (Human Development), Faculty of Human Ecology, who wins the Royal Education Gold Award Medal (Bumiputera).
3. Hew Khai Sin, Bachelor of Science and Food Technology student from Science and Food Technology Faculty, who will be receiving the Royal Education Gold Award Medal (non-Bumiputera).
4. Azlini Razali, Bachelor of Science (Honours) majors in Biology student from the Faculty of Science, who will be presented with the Alumni Gold Award.
5. Nurul Husna Osman, Bachelor of English Literature student from the Faculty of Modern Languages and Communication, who will be receiving the Yayasan Pak Rashid Gold Award Medal.
6. Tan Li Ping, Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, who will be receiving the Emeritus Professor Tan Sri Dr.Rashdan Baba Gold Award Medal.
7. Stephanie Lavania Petrus, programme Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, the recipient of Putra Agribio Medal.
8. Mohd. Shaharudin Said, Bachelor of Science (Human Development), Faculty of Educational Studies, who will receive the Razlan Putra Award.
9. Mohd Lokman Ibrahim (PhD. Catalysis), Science Faculty, recipient of the Gold Medal of Doctor of Philosophy.
10. Muhammad Nur Aiman Uda (Master of Science Sensor Technology), Faculty of Engineering, who wins the Gold Award in Master’s degree with Thesis.
11. Tan Tong Hock (PhD in Pedagogy in Mathematics Education), Mathematics Research Institute, who will be awarded the MTDC Annual Book Award (Innnovation/Commmercialization/Business).
12. Nur Fazlin Badrul Hisham, Bachelor of Computer Science, Faculty of Computer Science and Information Technology, who wins the Syed Kechik Award.
Also scheduled to graduate on that day are two Orang Asli students, George Nasir, Bachelor of Education (Physical Education), Faculty of Educational Studies, and Jay Nurivanna Asrienza Jaya, Bachelor of Computer Science (Software Engineering), Faculty of Computer Science and Information Technology and a Chinese national who took up Bachelor of Arts (Foreign Languages) majors in Arabic from the Faculty of Modern Languages and Communication.
Among national athletes who will be graduating are Mohamad Hisham Mat, Mohamad Noor Rizal Jaafar (sepak takraw), Mohd Shaharudin Said, Mohammad Zulkawai Mat Jusoh, Mohd Hafeez Faesal A. Aziz, Muhammad Akmal Md Nor, Nazmi Hussin (rugby), Kavee Alagan s/o Anpalician (long Jump), Nurfazlinda Shafiei (athletic), Arif Farhan Ibrahim Putra, Shahira Abdul Halim (archery), Mohd Zul Fadzli Alias (shooting), Noor Hasleen Fatihin Hasnan (gymnastics), Lee Zhien Huey (synchronized swimming), Nur Umairah Zainal Abidin (judo) and Yu Peng Kean (fencing). - UPM
Date of Input: | Updated: | fahezah_nor